Tenleytown Main Street seeks part-time administrative and program assistant
Tenleytown Main Street (TMS) is a community-based nonprofit organization that works with residents and local businesses to strengthen the economic vitality of Tenleytown. As a Main Street America™ Accredited program, TMS is a recognized leading program among the national network of more than 1,200 neighborhoods and communities who share both a commitment to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development.
Since 2016, Tenleytown Main Street has developed a portfolio of programs that meet the unique needs of our business district, including marketing and special events, public and urban green space maintenance, small business consulting, and financial support for physical improvements to commercial buildings. As a welcoming hub of community life, our Main Street nurtures a vibrant local economy and culture that can only be found at our own “top of the town.”
Position Description & Responsibilities
Tenleytown Main Street seeks a part-time administrative and program assistant who can work 20 hours/week. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and thrive in a small, but busy, non-profit environment. A positive attitude, solid organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects or tasks, and a sense of humor are a must.
Reporting to the Executive Director and under their direction, the incumbent will perform diverse administrative and support functions that may include:
- Office administration, including digital and hardcopy filing, office supply inventory and ordering, answering the phone, basic bookkeeping, and staffing the reception desk
- Scheduling and coordinating meetings, including preparing agendas and other meeting materials, logistics, notetaking, etc.
- Providing event planning support for TMS’s calendar of annual events
- Maintaining database of local businesses and other contacts
- Drafting regular business correspondence and coordinating mailings
- Formatting and managing monthly e-newsletters, as well as contributing content for quarterly print newsletters
- Maintaining web-based calendar of events
- Writing short, blog-style articles for website and/or social media posts
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 2 years administrative/office support experience, ideally in a small office setting. BA or BS strongly preferred.
- Ability to work 20 hours per week – 4 hours a day, 5 days per week – during regular office hours. Some flexibility may be possible for the right candidate.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, G-Suite, and social media, including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Experience with TweetDeck and/or Hootsuite a plus.
- Basic skills using database systems and a willingness and ability to learn new systems. Experience working with FileMaker Pro a plus.
- Experience working with MailChimp and WordPress strongly preferred.
- Experience working with QuickBooks Online a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as work well in a team.
- Attention to detail, excellent organization and time management skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to lift materials weighing up to 20 lbs.
$20 per hour.
How to Apply
Submit a letter of interest and resume in a single .pdf document by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Administrative and Program Assistant Application”. No phone calls.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Tenleytown Main Street provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of age, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, race, religion, veteran status, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination as required by law.
Position open until filled. Only those applicants who are selected for further discussions will be contacted.